Sure, a game of basketball may not cover you in mud and grass stains the way soccer or football can, but players are usually still drenched in sweat by the time the final buzzer sounds. Here’s a quick and easy guide to help you wash your basketball jersey. Learn how to get sweat and odor out of your jersey with these simple steps.
Quick Wash Guide
It’s a pretty quick process to clean your basketball jersey once you know what to do.
- Check the tags. Before going any further, quickly check the tags on your jersey to review the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pre-wash for stains. You probably won’t stain your basketball jersey too often, but it can happen from time to time. To perform a pre-wash, fill a bucket or sink with cold water and a bit of detergent. If necessary, use your hands to gently work the stain out of the jersey.
- Use the right detergent. Be sure to use a laundry detergent that is made specifically for treating synthetic fibers, like WIN Activewear Detergent. Most regular detergents are designed to treat cotton and may not be as effective when washing your jersey.
- Solo trip. Wash your jersey by itself whenever possible. If you put your jersey through the wash with other garments, those garments may leave lint behind that will be difficult to get off the jersey after it dries.
- Gentle in the washing machine. To help prevent damage, be sure to use the gentle cycle and lukewarm water.
- No dryer! Do what you can to keep the jersey out of the dryer. Not only is the heat of the dryer bad for the jersey’s material, but it can also damage any numbers or writing that are on the jersey. If you plan ahead, you should have enough time to let the jersey hang dry.
A Smelly Problem
It seems like a basketball jersey should be pretty easy to keep clean. They are typically worn indoors, after all, and they don’t even have sleeves. So why do they stink even after you take them out of the wash? It all comes back to the synthetic materials used to create the jersey.
Make no mistake, synthetic fibers are a great thing for athletic wear. They dry much more quickly than cotton, so you can play for hours without sweat drenching the jersey and weighing you down. Plus, when cared for properly, synthetic garments can last for years. However, the drawback of artificial fibers is the way they hold on to body oils as you sweat. These oils are collected in the fibers and can become a breeding ground for odor-producing bacteria if they are not washed away. The problem is that most regular detergents are not designed to remove oils from synthetics, so your garments can still stink even after washing.
Sports Detergent to the Rescue
The solution to the problem of smelly bacteria hanging around your basketball jersey is to wash it using the proper detergent. A detergent that has been designed specifically for athletic wear, like WIN Activewear Detergent, will work its way into the synthetic fibers and root out the oils that feed the bacteria—helping your garment to finally smell fresh again.
Make the Job Easier
While using the proper detergent is a big part of this battle, there are a couple of other steps you can take to improve the smell of your jersey over the long run. The first is to let the jersey dry as soon as possible after a game. Instead of wearing it home, change into a different shirt and let the jersey air out. Also, don’t stuff it into the bottom of your bag and leave it in your locker or car—it needs open air to dry out quickly.
One other helpful step is to only wear your jersey for games. During practice, wear a different shirt. This will limit the amount of sweat that the jersey soaks up over the course of the season, and it will make the garment easier to clean successfully after games. Plus, every type of clothing, no matter what material it is made with, will wear out eventually. To delay that outcome for your basketball jersey, only put it into action when it’s game time.
Order a Bottle of WIN Detergent!
The right detergent will leave your basketball jersey smelling great for the next game. With a formula designed to thoroughly clean synthetic materials, WIN Activewear Detergent is ideal for cleaning your basketball uniform and other workout clothes. Order your bottle today and notice the difference after a single load!