If you own a pair of Smartwool socks, you already know just how comfortable and durable they can be. By properly washing your Smartwool socks, you can extend their lifespan and enjoy their performance benefits for countless uses to come. However, many Smartwool socks include not only wool but specialized synthetic materials to create the finished product, so you’ll need to know how to wash them properly to get them clean every time. We’ve got some tips on how to wash Smartwool socks the right way!
Quick Wash Guide
Washing Smartwool socks is pretty straightforward if you know what to do:
- Inside out. One of the easiest steps to manage when washing your Smartwool socks is to turn them inside out. In fact, they may already be inside out when you take them off—so just leave them alone! Because the fabric on the inside of your socks is more durable than the fabric on the outside, turning them inside out before washing can help them to last longer.
- No hot water. As is the case with many items, wool garments may shrink when washed in hot water. Therefore, stick with either cool or lukewarm water for your wash cycle.
- Use a laundry bag. You’re probably not washing socks all by themselves, so consider placing them in a laundry bag before they go into the machine. This can help to protect your socks from rubbing or snagging on other items (and keep you from losing one). Laundry bags are affordable and can be used for a variety of garments, so they are a worthwhile item to keep around.
- Use the right detergent. Do your Smartwool socks still stink after washing? Your detergent could be the culprit. Most Smartwool socks contain some percentage of nylon and other synthetic materialsand most regular detergents aren’t designed to treat this material. Consider a sports detergent like WIN Detergent, which is made to treat synthetics like nylon (and will clean the wool too).
- Gentle cycle. Set your machine to a gentle cycle, which is ideal for delicates like socks.
- Dryer optional. While you should always check the instructions for your specific pair of socks, most Smartwool socks can be put through the dryer on low heat. With that said, keeping them out of the dryer and letting them air dry is a better choice if you have the time. Again, it’s about extending the life of the product. Air drying is a gentle method, and it is kind to the environment, as well.
Say No to Bleach
You may be in the habit of turning to bleach for some of your laundry tasks, but that’s not a good idea when it comes to anything made with wool. Bleach can damage the wool fibers. Instead of bleach, use a mild detergent like WIN that is designed to clean these garments thoroughly without doing any damage.
Handwashing is an Option
When you follow the relevant directions, there shouldn’t be any issue with using the washing machine to care for your Smartwool socks. However, if you’d like to be extra careful and make sure your socks stay in great condition, you can always opt for handwashing.
Since socks are such a small garment, you should be able to use your standard bathroom sink for this task. Just fill it up with cold or lukewarm water, add some mild detergent, and gently wash the socks with your hands. Rinse with clean water, then set them out to air dry.
A Note on Air Drying
If you have the time, it is a good idea to air dry your socks, as keeping them out of the dryer will help to protect them from damage and lengthen their lifespan. When you do opt for air drying, however, don’t make the mistake of hanging your socks up to dry on a clothesline or something similar. Hanging the socks while they are wet is going to cause them to stretch out, and they may not return to their original shape. Instead, find somewhere you can lay them flat, such as on a drying rack.
Try WIN Activewear Detergent
The right methods are important when caring for your Smartwool socks. An important piece of the puzzle is using the right detergent. As most Smartwool socks include some percentage of synthetic fibers, it’s important to use a detergent designed to clean those fibers. Order a bottle of WIN Activewear Detergent today and notice an immediate difference!